Term 3 is competition season for FCGC with many opportunities for our gymnasts to participate in various competition formats. Competitions are a fantastic way to challenge gymnasts and provide many opportunities to develop skills for life.
Our program provides a gradual introduction to competition from participation, to competing to achieve a score,
to competing as part of a team, to competing individually against others. FCGC supports gymnasts through the competitions creating the opportunity for positive competition experiences that develop skills that will serve them well throughout their lives.
Some parents are concerned that competition may place too much pressure on kids to be their best and can cause
unnecessary stress and leave children feeling disappointed if they don't measure up. To shield kids from disappointment, many well-meaning mums and dads avoid competitive situations altogether.
Child development experts point out that positive competition experiences are good for kids. Besides setting them up for wins and losses later in life—hey, they won't always land that big promotion—competitive activities can help them develop important skills they'll use well into adulthood such as:
1. Following rules
2. Performing in public (dealing with nerves and distractions)
3. Empathy (being able to win and lose gracefully)
4. Dealing with disappointment (especially publicly)
5. Develop tenacity and persistence (not giving up when things get tough)
6. Value of hard work and the understanding that sometimes we have to work harder the others.
7. Focus and concentration (especially when there is a lot going on around us)
8. Accountability, Independence and Responsibility
9. Perspective (this is something I do, not who I am)
10. Positive attitude towards competition (it can be fun and challenges us to be better). This will open up opportunities for them in the future.
Entires for all competition are taken via our Customer Portal - https://app.iclasspro.com/parentportal/fcgc1/camps?camptype=161